Visitors to the court will be required to comply with the court’s security arrangements. This may involve a bag search and metal detector screening on entry.
Visitors should also note:
- Visitors must follow the instructions of court staff while on court premises.
- Tape recorders and cameras are not permitted in any court building without approval. Special rules apply to the media.
- Mobile phones must be switched off when in the courtroom.
- Food or drink must not be taken into the courtroom.
- Unless there is a sign on the door of the courtroom stating otherwise, visitors can enter and leave the courtroom at any time.
- Visitors are requested not to move around or speak in the courtroom when a witness is taking an oath or affirmation.
- Lawyers and counsel assisting and the coroner’s assistant will bow to the coroner on entering or leaving the courtroom. Visitors are not required to bow, however it is generally considered respectful to do so.
Journalists should note that we also have media guidelines that provide some extra guidance on etiquette attending court.