Main Navigation

You are here:

Legal Representation

Families attending an inquest at the Coroners Court of Victoria can choose to be legally represented.

Because the court is independent, we cannot help you chose a lawyer.

If you want legal representation, you will usually have to pay for a private solicitor.

The Law Institute of Victoria has a referral service to help you find a lawyer experienced in your matter.

You can obtain free legal advice (but not usually representation) from Victoria Legal Aid or a community legal centre.

However, if you decide not to seek legal representation, the person assisting the coroner, along with the guidance and support of the coroner, can help you understand and participate in the inquest.

The person assisting the coroner is a member of the police force or a lawyer.